I am a Christian. I believe in the God of the Bible, in God the Father, in His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Spirit. I believe in Genesis 1:1 - "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (NIV)" I am a biochemist and a pharmacist by education. As such I have a desire to understand nature. I am writing this blog as my way to express the facts of true science as I understand them, from the perspective of one who believes that all things were created by God, for God and for His purposes.

Feel free to comment, to offer your perspective, or to give suggestions for subjects.
Please take a minute to "Like" us on Facebook.

Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Molecule of Molecules

The other day I was in the shower and just thinking about what substance I should write on next when it hit me in the face, the water that is, and woke me up! Of course, it had to be Water. What an amazing molecule. What other compound, large or small, complex or simple, is more important. Now if you were asked to name the most amazing compound in the World, or maybe even the Universe, you might say DNA or a protein like Insulin, or maybe Plastic, or Gold, or who knows what. But Water is so ubiquitous, so everywhere, so common, that you might not even think about it.

We take Water for granted in most developed countries but in many places the water is not fit to drink. We hear people say when you are going to another country; "Don't drink the Water!". That's because water purity varies from country to country and immunity to what might be in the Water varies as well. But there is more, much more to Water than just for drinking.
photo by: Fir0002/Flagstaffotos (GFDL)

Although drinking water is important to us, Water has many other uses and its properties are studied extensively in numerous scientific fields. Water has key "(insert any term from below)" properties that are unexpected in almost any molecule, except Water of course.

Here are just a few examples:

Chemical - The universal solvent; hydrogen bonding effect
Physical - Ice floats; surface tension
Biological - Capillary action; supporting marine life
Environmental - Global warming; water cycle
Astronomical - A sign of extraterrestrial life?
Medical - Therapeutic healing properties; medication diluent
Recreational - Swimming; boating
Spiritual - The Living Water; Noah and the Flood

I have just listed a few of Water's many properties that make it one of, if not the, most essential molecule we know. Over the course of the next few posts, I hope to tell the full story of the fascinating compound that is Water.

"Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him. John 7:38 (NIV)"

1 comment: