I am a Christian. I believe in the God of the Bible, in God the Father, in His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Spirit. I believe in Genesis 1:1 - "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (NIV)" I am a biochemist and a pharmacist by education. As such I have a desire to understand nature. I am writing this blog as my way to express the facts of true science as I understand them, from the perspective of one who believes that all things were created by God, for God and for His purposes.

Feel free to comment, to offer your perspective, or to give suggestions for subjects.
Please take a minute to "Like" us on Facebook.

Sunday, September 4, 2016

It's A Stick Out

Back in the day when my kids were younger, they wanted to believe everything I told them, and I wanted to tell them everything I knew. They would ask me questions and I, in my great wisdom and knowledge, always had an answer. As they grew older, I think they figured out I was not that Guru on a mountain top and sometimes my answers were not exactly on target shall we say.

One Father's Day one of my sons gave me a card (OK, it really was a birthday card) that became an instant family fable. It had a picture of a dad talking to his son (no, it was an older couple, a man and his wife) as they were overlooking the coastline (they were at a lake).

The dad, pointing to a small outcropping of land along the coast (the lake shore) said to his son (no, his wife):

See that piece of land sticking out over there into the water? There's a technical name for that. It's called a "Stick Out".

Inside the card it said:

“Another year older... another year closer to making up crap!”

Instantly my credibility was gone! Everyone in the room laughed and knew that I did not know everything and that sometimes I made up answers from what little knowledge I had on the subject at hand. My answers to their questions were often nonsense, absurdity, silliness... totally made up with very little foundation in truth or reality.


Every kid wants to believe his father knows best but,
We have a Father in Heaven who does and He cares for us.

Every kid wants to believe his dad knows it all but, just like puberty, there comes a day when things radically change and they realize that their dad is an imperfect human being, just like everyone else. It is the day that they start to grow up, become young adults and know that although their dad does not have all the answers, he has always had their best in mind. They are now ready to be dads (or moms) themselves.

It is a secure feeling when you are young to be able to believe that there is someone who always has your back, has experience in this world and wants to teach you, protect you and keep you safe from the things of the world. For many kids, that person is their dad.

We all have a Father in Heaven who is such a person. He does not have to guess at what a "Stick Out" is, he is all knowing and He has prepared a job for us in this life that he will help us through, unto the day of Christ Jesus. We can trust Him in all things and call on Him when we don't know what to do or where to go next. We just need to be patient and listen for His voice.

He is a Good, Good Father!

Happy Father's Day!

Psalm 139:13-14 (NIV) For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Philippians 1:6 (NIV) Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment